Online Service Dog Registration with ID Card
MyServiceAnimal Registrar offers you to register your dog and get a service dog ID card for your pet in the United States, as well as other accessories that may be needed (e.g., harness or tag). It is important for every service dog owner to show that the animal is currently working and cannot be disturbed.
We offer you not only an ID card that confirms the status of your dog as a trained ADA animal but also the possibility to check it online. This option is completely free when buying the ID card and gives you an opportunity to prove the pet’s status on our website.
What is the main task of a Service Dog?
ADA dogs are animals trained to help people with specific disabilities perform everyday tasks and live their routines normally. Even though service dogs are raised for their “profession” since they are puppies, some dog owners choose to teach their pets to perform all crucial tasks and become not only their best friends but also little helpers.
A service dog can do an impressive variety of activities for their handlers, starting from informing about high blood sugar and ending with helping blind people to move around. Moreover, the dog can be of any breed, too; the main requirement for it is to be patient, well-behaved, and good-natured. And, of course, an ADA pet should be loyal to its owner and be ready to protect and support them at any time.
It is essential to register service animals online to make sure no problems will occur during traveling, visiting public places, or just walking in crowded areas with them. The thing is, people are not quite used to the fact that dogs can work, too, so unpleasant situations can sometimes happen. And if there is an ADA ID card that can prove the dog’s status, justice will always be on the side of a person with a disability.
What information is needed for a Service Dog ID card?
According to the Service Animal Law, you do not need proof that your dog is indeed a service dog; however, a lot of dog owners choose to carry ID cards, tags, ADA harnesses, and other accessories on them. In this way, there are fewer misunderstandings and questions from people in public places.
So, what information is required during the registration process?
- Your dog’s name;
- Dog’s breed;
- Name of handler/owner;
- Street address;
- City, State;
- You сan also add a photo of your dog.
After the order is confirmed and all needed data is indicated, the customer will receive a service dog ID card to their address in 1-5 days. It is also recommended to have a phone number for the Department of Justice together with the card in case people won’t believe you or would be rude to you and your dog.
Please note that misrepresenting your dog as a service dog if it is not one is fraud and is considered an illegal action. That is why it is important always to carry a service dog ID card to avoid misunderstandings and possible troubles.
Why a Service Dog ID card is important?
Legitimate service dog registration gives a lot of privileges both for animals and their handlers. What are those benefits? Well, let’s discuss this in more detail:
- Traveling becomes much easier with ADA ID cards. Service dogs often get confused with regular pets. That can lead to misunderstandings in public places and establishments where pets are forbidden. However, a service dog is not a pet, it is a working animal. So, an ID card can prove it to those who have doubts about it;
- It gives you access to various locations. Sometimes, employees may have some questions about a service dog. They may not let you in or ask you to leave. That’s where ID cards become very useful. Thanks to them, you can freely enter restaurants, movie theatres, hospitals, mall centers, buffets, etc.;
- By demonstrating the ID card, you educate the public on the topic of ADA dogs. No one has the right to pressure you into telling about your service dog and the specific tasks it can perform. However, if you are comfortable with that, you may tell people in public places why exactly you are allowed with your dog. You may also tell more about the rights of this type of animal. It will be helpful in normalizing ADA dogs in everyday life routines;
- The dog’s ID can be digitally accessible on your phone. You do not have always to carry it around with you. The service dog registration number is added to our database, so you do not have to worry if you forgot the physical copy of the card. Moreover, if you are traveling, hotels or airports may ask you to show proof of your dog’s status. And you may easily send a link to the database with the registration number indicated there.
If you want to register your pet, make an order on the website now. We are always ready to help!
How do perform Service Dog Registration with an ID card?
Service animal registration is not really a complicated process; however, if you decide to do it offline, it can take much more time than it would take online. All documents, different organizations you should visit, and numerous other nuances can make this procedure unbearable, and that’s why so many people prefer to register service animals online. In case you chose MyServiceAnimal to register your pet and receive a Service Dog ID card on top of that, welcome!
So, what do you need in order to complete a service dog registration? Here are three essential steps:
- Make sure you have a letter of recommendation from your doctor (sometimes it can be required in the handler’s information);
- Fill in all important info about the animal (breed, size, age, and so on);
- Complete and send the registration form to our website.
That’s it, you did a great job! And in case you have trouble doing it on your own, no worries, our customer support team is always here to help you with anything!
By the way, other important accessories for service dogs are available for purchase here, too, such as ADA leashes, service dog collars, vests, tags, and many others. Those can vary in size and type based on the dog breed, so this nuance should always be discussed with one of our sales representatives.
What questions can be asked by the covered entity’s employees to make sure the pet is indeed a service dog?
There are only two questions that the staff at the establishments can ask: (1) Is the dog here to help you with some kind of disability? and (2) What tasks can the animal perform? That’s it. It is not allowed to demand a dog’s documents, ask to show how an animal helps the handler, or discuss a person’s disability.
Can a cat be a service animal?
No, cats cannot be service animals. They are too small and are not as easy to train as dogs. Only dogs and miniature horses can become service animals. However, cats are often registered as Emotional Support Cat to provide emotional help to their handlers.
Who Can I Contact if My Service Dog Is Denied Access?
If there is a situation when the staff in the place you are visiting don’t want to let you in with your service dog, explain that the ADA rules allow you to do this, and your rights are protected by them. If they still don’t let you in, talk to their manager and notice politely that you can call the police, and they will explain the law once more.
If you have more questions, you can contact the U.S. Department of Justice’s toll-free ADA Information Line at 800-514-0301 (voice) or 800-514-0383 (TDD).